Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey and things.

This will be my first Thanksgiving away from family. Which means this will also be my first Thanksgiving to actually have to plan and pull off. Sure, I've done the mini-Thanksgivings where you get together with friends before the actual holiday to eat and hang out. But the difference between those and what will be happening Thursday is twofold. First, they weren't actual Thanksgiving dinners. Second, my responsibility was limited to volunteering to make a pie or something.

This year, I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with a bunch of [wonderful] people who haven't ever celebrated Thanksgiving before. And as (1) I'm American, and (2) I can cook can follow recipes with some success, I'm in charge of the turkey.

I have no idea how to cook a turkey. It's just sitting there, all menacing, in my refrigerator. I feel really unprepared for this. And the turkey is like the centerpiece of the meal. The meal for my favorite holiday that I really want all my new friends to love too.

Turkey, I will defeat you.

No pressure or anything.

I've also come to appreciate the fact that we get Thanksgiving off in the States, because I have no idea how we're going to manage to make all this food while everyone's got class and work and whatnot. The good news is everyone's bringing a dish, so it's not like one person has to cook everything. Still, figuring out what time I should make the dinner rolls and a pie when our oven is going to be occupied by a turkey for most of the evening is a bit of a challenge.

I might have to borrow an oven.

But with all that said, I'm super excited for this Thanksgiving! I have plenty to be thankful for this year, and I can't wait to celebrate with all the lovely people from my building. And whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, I'm hoping this Thursday treats you exceptionally well.

Happy [almost] Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment